Click on an icon above to learn about projects on that road.
I-4/I-275 Interchange (operational improvements, completed December 2006)
Financial Project # 258643
Project Length: 2.7 miles
Estimated Construction Cost: $81 million
Contractor: Granite Construction, Inc.
Start Date: October 27, 2002
Completed: December 22, 2006
About this Project
The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) has completed making capacity and safety improvements to the Interstate 275/Interstate 4 interchange in Tampa (Hillsborough County), Florida. This involved work on I-275 from the Hillsborough River north to Floribraska Avenue and on I-4 from east of 15th Street into the interchange.
For a computer-enhanced view of before and after photos of the project, click here.
Lane closures and detours on the interstate system in relation to this project were limited to the hours of 10 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. Sunday through Thursday nights.
As a result of these operational improvements, eight new bridges were constructed, 18 existing bridges were widened, and four lanes in each direction now tie into proposed four-lane projects on each side of this project (see "Interstate 4 from west of 14th Street to east of 50th Street" and "I-275 from Howard Frankland Bridge to Hillsborough River" for more info).
Improvement highlights for the interchange included:
Lane Closure Hours were:
* Single lane: 10 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. Sunday through Thursday nights.
* Double lane: 10:30 p.m. to 4:30 a.m. Sunday through Thursday nights.
* Detours: 10:30 p.m. to 4:30 a.m. Sunday through Thursday nights.
* 22nd Street Detour: 10:30 p.m. to 4:30 a.m. Sunday through Wednesday nights.
* Rolling roadblocks (traffic pacing) were used between 10 p.m. and 5:30 a.m. Sunday through Thursday nights to help set up and take down lane closures, move equipment, and perform quick work. Rolling roadblocks were used for safety of both motorists and workers.
Ashley Drive Exit Number Change
* Southbound I-275 exit ramp to Ashley Drive (Exit 45A): Formerly Exit 44, this ramp has been relocated to a new ramp system that runs parallel to I-275. Exit 45A serves Jefferson Street, Ashley Drive, and Doyle Carlton Drive.
Day and night lane closures on SR 50 in the I-75 area
Night lane closures on I-75 in northern Hernando County